Chickpea Quinoa Burgers in Pita Pockets
If you love hamburgers but are watching your waistline, then our chickpea quinoa burgers are meant for you! Not only are they healthy, but they are also chock full of protein that will make you feel fuller, longer.
This recipe is so versatile. It’s great as a vegetarian main dish served inside a pita pocket with a side of Brussels sprouts salad. Or eat the burger as a side dish to chicken with feta cheese sauce. So many options!
Tahini is a paste made of ground sesame seeds and is full of minerals and vitamins, including iron and calcium. It’s also referred to as sesame butter sometimes and it’s usually in the peanut butter isle at your local supermarket.
Chickpea Quinoa Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- bean sprouts
- 4 pieces of pita bread, sliced in half
- For the sauce: In the bowl of a food processor add tahini, garlic, salt, chopped parsley and lemon juice. Pulse until smooth then, with the motor running, add water to preferred consistency. Scrape into serving bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash together the chickpeas and quinoa until combined. Stir in the onion, garlic, chopped herbs, salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning before adding egg. Stir in beaten egg and form into 8 thin patties.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and, when hot, add burgers. Cook until golden brown—about 6 minutes on each side.
- To serve, top each burger with tahini sauce, sliced tomato, sliced avocado and sprouts. Slide dressed burgers into pita pockets and enjoy!