One Pan Pesto Chicken with Veggies
We love a good one pan dinner, especially on busy weeknights! This One Pan Pesto Chicken is super easy because it just requires you to chop up a couple of veggies and then dump everything in a casserole dish. The pesto sauce gives this dish loads of flavor, and the cheese will make even the pickiest eaters excited to gobble down their protein and vegetables.
You can serve this one pan pesto chicken over pasta or brown rice to make it more filling, or even serve it between some crusty bread slices for a delicious Italian sandwich. And, if you happen to have any leftovers, it’s great warmed up in a skillet (that will give the veggies a nice texture).
You could even try experimenting with different types of sauces. Keep the same basic format of this recipe, but switch out the pesto for a delicious marinara or vodka sauce. Now you have 3 recipes in one!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
- Use a meat tenderizer to pound your chicken breasts a bit thinner. This will help them cook more evenly and in less time.
- You want the veggies to be pretty evenly sized so that they cook properly. Otherwise, you could end up with some pieces being mushy, and others still being hard.
- We love a good homemade pesto recipe, but this dish is just as good with the store-bought stuff, so save yourself a little time.
- Don’t skip the broiling step at the end – that’s what browns the cheese and makes this dish even more delicious.
- A good digital read meat thermometer will help you make sure your chicken is done perfectly. Underdone could give you a stomach ache, and overdone will result in super dry chicken.
One Pan Pesto Chicken with Veggies Recipe
- 2 - 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 small zucchinis, or 1 medium sized zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 yellow onion
- 8 oz pesto
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese
- 4 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a casserole dish.
- Lay chicken breasts out on a cutting board. Trim away the fat, and then cover with plastic wrap. Pound with the flat side of meat tenderizer. This will allow the chicken to cook faster.
- Season both sides of the chicken breast with salt, pepper & garlic powder.
- Cut the zucchini, yellow squash, and onion into bite-size pieces. Season the veggies with salt and pepper as desired.
- Lay the chicken in a single layer in the casserole dish. Cover the chicken with chopped veggies.
- Spoon the pesto over the chicken and veggies. Top with both kinds of cheese.
- Cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and bake for 40 - 50 minutes or until chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165°.
- Remove the aluminum foil, switch the oven to Broil, and brown the top of the cheese.
- Let cool and enjoy!
When you make this one pan pesto chicken, show it off! Use #MyEverydayDish on social media to be featured on the Everyday Dishes accounts!