Sausage and Spinach Calzones
Calzones are basically the grown-up version of a hot pocket. Warm, hearty, and stuffed with delicious meat, cheese, and veggies, this is one dish that is sure to please the entire family. This recipe features sausage and spinach, but the real star is the variety of cheeses. Melted mozzarella, flavorful parmesan, and smooth ricotta blend together for a trifecta of deliciousness.
You may be surprised that the only seasoning is a hint of nutmeg, but trust us when we say this key ingredient adds the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavor.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
+ These leftovers taste just as good as eating them right out of the oven. Don’t hesitate to make extras!
+ If you want to save some time on this recipe, simply use a premade dough. We love the dough at Trader Joe’s.
+ Be sure to serve with your favorite pizza sauce for dipping.
Sausage and Spinach Calzones Recipe
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 12 oz frozen chopped spinach
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 12 oz whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
Sauce for Dipping
- pizza sauce
- Mix together the ingredients for the dough and knead for 5 minutes. Let proof for an hour or unless double in size. Make 6 small balls of equal size and let rest for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is resting make the filling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Defrost the spinach in the microwave and drain all the water out really well. You want dry spinach.
- In a medium-size pan, brown the sausage. Line a plate with paper towels and let sausage dry to get all the grease out.
- In a large bowl mix sausage, spinach, ricotta cheese, and nutmeg. Add in parmesan and mozzarella cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out the dough into even-sized rounds and put 1/2 to 3/4 cup of filling in the middle of each. Fold the dough over like a turnover and seal the sides together.
- Mix an egg and 1 tablespoon of water together and brush the calzone with egg wash.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place calzones on sheet. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Serve with your favorite pizza sauce.
Recipe by Monica Ford.