This Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff recipe is a hearty, comforting recipe that is perfect for an average weeknight dinner when you need something creamy and satisfying. Cashew cream is the perfect route to a deliciously creamy and well-balanced sauce. Mushrooms, garlic, and seasonings bring a nice flavor to the pasta sauce and the dish overall. Adding these traditional ingredients totally completes this vegan stroganoff and please the entire family, from the picky eaters to the mushroom fanatics!
Serve it alongside a green salad and a hearty slice of garlic bread for a wholesome and satisfying meal. Bonus: this dish is just a good as leftovers, so don’t worry about making a big portion. You’ll love it as lunch or for another amazing dinner.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe Tips
- If your cashew cream sauce is too thick, add 1tbsp water at a time until a smooth, thick consistency is reached.
- If you don’t have a high-speed blender, soak the cashews in warm water for 1 hour before draining and blending.
- Keep any leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Then, easily warm up leftovers in a skillet or microwave.
Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1/4 onion diced
- 1 lb white mushrooms sliced
- 3 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 1 cup cashew cream
- Parsley to serve
- Black pepper to serve
let's do it
- In a high speed blender combine the raw cashews and water. Blend on high for about 1-2 minutes or until smooth. If too thick, add 1tbsp water at a time until a smooth, thick consistency is reached.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add the avocado oil. Add the onion and cook for about 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the mushrooms and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently while the mushrooms cook down. Add the thyme and coconut aminos and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add the white wine and cook down for about 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the broth, parsley, and pasta. Stir, cover, and let cook for about 20 minutes, stirring frequently until the pasta is tender.
- Pour the cashew cream into the pot and stir. Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Garnish with more fresh parsley and freshly cracked black pepper.