Dutch Oven Roasted Beets
This Dutch oven roasted beets recipe is a silky, sweet, earthy approach to delicious seasonable veggies. Beets are available in a variety of colors–golden beets, white beets and even beets with a bull’s-eye pattern, called Chioggia [key-oh-jah] beets.
Choose beets that are heavy for their size and don’t have any surface damage. Green tops are a good indicator of freshness.
This dish is most attractive when served right away, but you can prepare the beets in advance. This trick might come in handy if you’re pressed for time the day of your dinner. If you don’t plan on using the beets immediately, refrigerate them in a tightly sealed plastic bag. Roasted beets will keep for 4-5 days in the refrigerator.
Dutch Oven Roasted Beets Recipe
- 3 yellow beets
- 3 red beets
- olive oil
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- parsley, or chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Clean beets under cold water and cut off stems. Place beets in Dutch oven or casserole dish, drizzle with small amount of olive oil and cover.
- Roast 1 hour or until toothpick can pierce beet and come out smoothly.
- Remove skins from beets by gently rubbing sides with paper towel (optional). Cut beets into chunks, toss with butter until coated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley or chives if desired. Enjoy!