There’s nothing ordinary about this baked Italian chicken recipe. Italian seasonings and a smidgen of Dijon mustard make a delicious marinade that’s easy to prepare a day ahead.
The marinade is rich in Italian flavor but subtle enough for the kids, making this recipe perfect for your regular dinner rotation. Still can’t get enough of this marinade? Use it as Italian dressing for salad!
You’ll want to pierce several holes in each of the breasts before immersing them in the marinade. That way the liquid will permeate throughout overnight.
When you’re ready to cook this baked Italian chicken, remove the chicken to a bed of onions and red and green peppers—which just happen to be the colors of the Italian flag! Serve with homemade garlic bread and roasted balsamic broccoli.
Baked Italian Chicken Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts about 2 lbs
- 1/2 medium yellow onion cut into rings
- 1 red bell pepper and 1 green bell pepper, seeded and cut into rings
- 8 oz mushrooms whole or halved
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese shredded, plus more for sprinkling
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine all of the marinade ingredients until dissolved. Set aside.
- Trim chicken breasts and pierce each one 6–8 times with a fork. Nestle chicken into the bowl of the marinade and stir to coat each piece. Cover with plastic wrap or seal the plastic bag and refrigerate at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 9" x 13" baking dish with cooking spray. Scatter onion and bell peppers across the bottom of the dish. Remove chicken breasts from the marinade and place on top of the onions and peppers.
- Add mushrooms into the remaining marinade, stir to coat then transfer the mixture to the baking dish. Settle the mushrooms in around the chicken.
- Sprinkle the casserole with Parmesan cheese and bake for 25–35 minutes depending upon the thickness of chicken, until chicken is cooked all the way through. If you’d like a little more color on your chicken, just place the entire dish under the broiler for 2–3 minutes to crisp up the top.
- Remove dish from oven and transfer chicken to a serving platter. Season pan juices and veggies with salt and pepper then carefully pour it over the chicken breasts. Serve with a little Parmesan cheese on the side for sprinkling.