Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
What’s not to love about stuffed cabbage casserole? It’s packed with comfort food flavor and it’s just so much easier than wrapping individual cabbage leaves!
This dish eliminates an hour of the normal prep time for a stuffed cabbage roll recipe therefore giving you the opportunity to spend more time doing the things you love. Because cabbage, ground beef and rice are very budget-friendly, this is an “everybody wins” kind of meal.
Make this dish vegetarian by swapping the lean ground beef for pinto beans. Or if you prefer leaner meats, use ground turkey or chicken. Talk about a hearty, healthy meal!
Stuffed Cabbage Casserole Recipe
Love stuffed cabbage but hate the prep time? Our low-carb stuffed cabbage casserole is an easy and delicious alternative!
Yield: 8 -9 servings
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 14 1/2 oz can petite tomatoes diced with juice
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked
- 1 head savoy cabbage, chopped into 1/2" pieces
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until it is well browned. Remove the ground beef from the heat and drain the grease. Return the ground beef to the heat and add chopped onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent and starting to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the paprika, salt and pepper and cook about 2 minutes more. Pour in the can of diced tomatoes including the juice, tomato sauce, chicken broth and the uncooked rice. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover the skillet and let the mixture simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the meat mixture is simmering, remove the outer leaves from the cabbage. Cut it in half and cut out the core then chop the cabbage into ½" pieces.
- Once the meat mixture has finished simmering, transfer it to a bowl and return the skillet to the heat. Add the cabbage, water and kosher salt to the skillet, cover and cook over medium-high heat until the cabbage is wilted slightly. Uncover the skillet and continue cooking for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat. Set the cabbage aside.
- Place cabbage in a clean kitchen towel and wring the excess water out.
- Begin assembling the casserole by layering half the meat mixture, half of the cabbage and then repeating with the other half of the meat mixture and ending with the cabbage. Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove the foil and serve while hot. Enjoy!
If you prefer crispier cabbage, remove the skillet from heat before stirring in the cabbage so it doesn't fully cook.
Calories: 219kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 15g, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.3g, Monounsaturated Fat: 3g, Trans Fat: 0.4g, Cholesterol: 37mg, Sodium: 651mg, Potassium: 410mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 4g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!