What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
We’d love to say this recipe is just for the kids, but realistically, this decadent breakfast was created with adults in mind too. Our chocolate chip pancakes are prepared using einkorn flour. If you don’t have einkorn flour yet then don’t fret! You can make this recipe with homemade fluffy pancakes made with traditional all-purpose flour.
If you haven’t watched our video on why you should introduce einkorn into your diet, then it’s a must-see. Once you learn all the benefits of this hearty ancient grain, you can enjoy these cloying indulgences with a clear conscience.
If the chocolate chips are a little much for your sweet tooth, simply eliminate them from the recipe. We enjoyed this hot stack with lots of melted butter on top, but warm syrup or honey is also a fine choice.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn Chocolate Chip Pancakes Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose einkorn flour, (7.5 oz)
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Place a large wire mesh strainer over a large bowl. Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt then sift everything into the bowl. Whisk dry ingredients to thoroughly combine then create a well in the center with your whisk. NOTE: We strongly recommend you weigh your einkorn flour, if possible, for better accuracy. If you don’t have a scale, fluff the flour with a fork before you measure it in a cup.
- In a second bowl, whisk eggs until smooth.
- Add the buttermilk, milk, melted butter and vanilla then whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, whisking as you pour the liquid into the ‘well.’ When the batter is thoroughly combined, cover and let rest in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you’re ready to prepare the pancakes, place the chocolate chunks near the stove. Heat a griddle over medium heat. Use ¼ cup of batter per pancake and sprinkle chocolate chunks onto the uncooked side. Cook to a golden brown, flip the pancake and brown the other side.
- To serve, place one or more pancakes on a plate and cover with a generous helping of caramelized bananas, if desired.
If you consider yourself a pancake connoisseur, try our recipe for overnight einkorn blueberry pancakes!