Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes
Pick those early or late season tomatoes to use in this super yummy fried green tomatoes recipe.
You can make this recipe as a vegetarian main meal, a summer side dish or just an awesome snack. They are easy to make, super comforting and delicious with a splash of hot sauce.
To keep it simple, prepare your breading station in advance so once you slice the tomatoes, dredging your tomatoes in the breading ingredients is a smooth transition. If you don’t have a cooling rack, don’t worry about going to the store and buying new kitchen supplies—aluminum foil and wax paper will work just fine!
Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
Pick those early or late season tomatoes! Southern or not, this fried green tomatoes recipe is crispy and delicious! They make a great side dish or snack.
Yield: 6 -8 servings
- 4 large green tomatoes, or 5 medium
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt, fine
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, plain
- oil, for frying
- salt, for sprinkling
- Remove the core from each tomato then thinly slice off both ends. Cut tomatoes into slices about a ½" thick. Place slices into a medium-sized mixing bowl then pour the buttermilk over the top. Toss to coat then set aside.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika to a large plate. Gently stir to combine, using a fork. Add cornmeal and breadcrumbs to a second plate then gently stir to combine. Add beaten egg whites to a shallow bowl.
- Dredge tomatoes one at a time. First shake off any excess buttermilk. Next dredge in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Then dip into egg whites, making sure it’s completely covered. Finally, dredge n breadcrumb mixture until no wet spots remain.
- Transfer tomatoes to a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Allow breaded tomatoes to rest for 5 minutes so breading can set.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat then add oil to coat the bottom by about ¼". When the oil is hot, place 4 or 5 tomato slices into the pan (do not overcrowd the pan, or the tomatoes will steam instead of fry). Cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and immediately season with a sprinkling of salt. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature and enjoy! If serving at room temp, return to the rack to keep crispy.
If you want to spice things up a bit, these taste great with a dash of hot sauce!
Calories: 191kcal, Carbohydrates: 33g, Protein: 8g, Fat: 4g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 1104mg, Potassium: 364mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 7g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!