Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes
Pick those early or late season tomatoes to use in this super yummy fried green tomatoes recipe.
You can make this recipe as a vegetarian main meal, a summer side dish or just an awesome snack. They are easy to make, super comforting and delicious with a splash of hot sauce.
To keep it simple, prepare your breading station in advance so once you slice the tomatoes, dredging your tomatoes in the breading ingredients is a smooth transition. If you don’t have a cooling rack, don’t worry about going to the store and buying new kitchen supplies—aluminum foil and wax paper will work just fine!
Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
- Remove the core from each tomato then thinly slice off both ends. Cut tomatoes into slices about a ½" thick. Place slices into a medium-sized mixing bowl then pour the buttermilk over the top. Toss to coat then set aside.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika to a large plate. Gently stir to combine, using a fork. Add cornmeal and breadcrumbs to a second plate then gently stir to combine. Add beaten egg whites to a shallow bowl.
- Dredge tomatoes one at a time. First shake off any excess buttermilk. Next dredge in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Then dip into egg whites, making sure it’s completely covered. Finally, dredge n breadcrumb mixture until no wet spots remain.
- Transfer tomatoes to a baking sheet with a cooling rack. Allow breaded tomatoes to rest for 5 minutes so breading can set.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat then add oil to coat the bottom by about ¼". When the oil is hot, place 4 or 5 tomato slices into the pan (do not overcrowd the pan, or the tomatoes will steam instead of fry). Cook about 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and immediately season with a sprinkling of salt. Serve hot, warm or at room temperature and enjoy! If serving at room temp, return to the rack to keep crispy.