Our glorious Greek chicken panzanella recipe isn’t a salad loaded with bread—it’s more like the best salad on the planet loaded with fantastically-seasoned croutons and the most brilliant homemade Greek dressing.
It was unanimously loved in the test kitchen—to the point where people were aggressively seeking seconds—and we have no doubt that this recipe will be equally popular served in your home. Everyone loved how well the bread was seasoned and toasted, and the homemade dressing received accolades, too.
This Greek chicken panzanella is a great way to use up leftover grilled chicken, and even if you don’t have any leftovers, this recipe is worth making at least once. It’s hearty, flavorful and delicious, which makes for a great salad entrée or a favorite at the neighbor’s backyard barbecue.
Greek Chicken Panzanella Salad Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- olive oil
- 4 cups French bread cubed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups Romaine lettuce chopped, about 1 head
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 yellow bell pepper or orange bell pepper
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- 2 chicken breasts grilled, cooled
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
let's do it
- In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon, garlic, marjoram, basil, oregano, vinegar, salt and pepper. Slowly drizzle in olive oil while whisking to form an emulsion. Set dressing aside, allowing flavors to blend.
- Place a large skillet over medium heat then add olive oil. When oil is hot, add the bread cubes and toss to coat in the oil. Sprinkle bread lightly with salt and pepper and cook, tossing frequently, for about 10 minutes, until most of the bread is lightly browned and crispy. Remove from heat then set aside to cool.
- Cut Romaine, cucumber, bell pepper, tomatoes and grilled chicken into ½" chunks, then place in a large salad bowl. Pour vinaigrette over ingredients in the bowl then toss to combine.
- Add cooled bread cubes, feta and Kalamata olives and toss lightly. Cover and refrigerate for 15–20 minutes to let the flavors blend and bread to absorb the dressing. Toss once or twice before serving to ensure bread absorbs dressing evenly.