Phyllo Dough with Honey
If you’ve never baked with phyllo dough before, you are missing out on one of life’s great and easy pleasures. This phyllo dough with honey dessert is simple to make and even easier to eat.
Originally invented in the Mediterranean, this paper-thin pastry is what gives delectable desserts such as Baklava its puffy, flakey crunch.
Here, we incorporate it into a delicious two-bite pastry. Phyllo dough with honey and walnuts is perfect for any party appetizer.
Phyllo Dough with Honey Recipe
- 2 cups walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 cup honey, divided
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 24 sheets phyllo dough
- egg wash, mixture of beaten egg and touch of water or milk
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Place walnuts, ¾ cup honey, cinnamon and salt in small sauce pan. Heat on medium just until honey thins–stir constantly to combine all ingredients. When cool add feta and set aside.
- Stack 3 phyllo sheets with layer of egg wash between each sheet to ensure the filo sticks together—start by laying a single sheet of phyllo on a flat, non-stick surface with short side nearest you, and use a basting brush to apply the egg wash and remaining honey drizzle across the surface. Repeat 2 times, layering the phyllo one on top of the other.
- Cut the sheets parallel to the long side first down the middle, then cut each half down the middle. You will end up with 4 strips of dough running away from you. Place 1 Tbsp honey-walnut mixture near the end of each strip near you. Bring the bottom left corner over the filling to the right edge creating a triangle. Then pretend you are folding the flag and keep folding the dough around the filling all the way to the end of the strip. You will now have a small triangle. Brush the dough with egg wash to seal the seam, place on baking sheet and brush top with egg wash. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Put triangles on cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey and a sprinkle of feta cheese. Yum!