Our spicy shrimp dip recipe is going to rock your world. It contains just the right amount of heat and meaty, savory shrimp, and it’s seasoned so perfectly it will send a shiver of delight down your spine.
We served crackers on the side when testing this recipe, but Melba toast, tortilla chips and baguette are all acceptable choices. We like to choose the dip ‘transportation’ based upon occasion and personal taste!
Spicy Shrimp Dip Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 10 oz cans diced tomatoes with celery, green pepper and onion
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 lbs medium shrimp cooked, peeled and deveined
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pinch sugar (optional)
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- green onion sliced, for garnish (optional)
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 8" x 8" baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt butter. When butter is melted, add onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and ½ tsp salt. Cook 6–8 minutes, stirring often, until veggies begin to soften.
- Fully drain diced tomatoes then add to pan along with Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for 25–30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes begin to break down and sauce thickens to about the consistency of ketchup. Cook until no liquid remains in pan, being careful not to burn.
- While sauce is cooking, chop shrimp into small pieces. (Be sure shrimp is fully defrosted and drained, or the dip will be runny). In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, sour cream, Parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Remove sauce from heat, add shrimp pieces and season to taste with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar if it’s a little too tart. Then add cheeses, and when fully combined, pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until bubbly. Garnish with plenty of sliced green onion if you like. Serve with crackers and enjoy!
One Last Thing