We’re all looking for ways to eat healthy these days and we’ve come up with a winner! These taco-stuffed peppers go straight to the top of our list.
Ground beef and black beans are a perfect way to acquire more protein from your diet. Those mixed with your favorite classic taco ingredients make for a wonderful new Mexican dish your family will fall in amore with.
We love this recipe for many reasons. Not only is it super easy to make ahead of time, but it makes for a great lunch meal prep idea.
Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 large bell peppers, any color
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 pkg taco seasoning
- 1 - 15 oz can black beans
- 1/2 cup black olives, sliced
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- sour cream, for garnish
- Cut pepper in half through the stem. Scrape out the seeds and ribs and set aside. You will have 8 pepper shells. If they are not sitting level, cut a small slice from the underside to help level them.
- Brown meat in a large sauté pan breaking it up as it cooks. When no pink remains, drain any excess fat if necessary and add water and seasoning mix. Continue to cook until thick. Remove from pan to cool and set aside.
- Drain black beans and rinse under cold water. Drain again and set aside.
- To a large bowl add meat mixture, beans, diced Roma tomatoes, cilantro and salsa. Mix thoroughly and season with garlic powder, salt and pepper then fill the pepper shells with mixture. Place in oven for 30 minutes until heated through.
- Remove from oven and top each pepper with pico de gallo and a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
If you don’t like bell peppers, or just want a change in flavor, try using poblano peppers instead!