Turmeric appears to be all the rage these days, so we test-kitchen-enthusiasts gave it a whirl. The resulting turmeric detox soup recipe is loaded with spinach, chickpeas, cauliflower and mushrooms. Now you’re not just eating clean, you’re getting a nice entrée soup as well.
Especially welcome on a cold winter day, our turmeric detox soup is a rare occasion where clean eating and comfort food magically intersect. Of course, this recipe is light and filling enough to be enjoyed all year round.
Should you be of the prepare-in-advance mentality (oh, and we are), we recommend adding your spinach after the soup is reheated, right before it’s time to eat. Serve with a slice or two of our homemade einkorn sandwich bread. It’s great for sopping up anything left at the bottom of the bowl!
Turmeric detox soup with spinach and chickpeas recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 Tbsp ginger grated
- 5 garlic cloves cloves minced
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth low-sodium, divided
- 8 oz mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 Tbsp lime juice
- 16 oz spinach coarsely chopped
let's do it
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté 2 minutes. Turn heat to medium-low and add ginger, then cook for 3 minutes more. Now add garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add turmeric and salt and cook 30 seconds to bloom the spice.
- Add mushrooms to the pan along with about 1 cup of the chicken broth and cook 5 minutes. As the mushrooms cook, continue to scrape up the brown bits in the bottom of the pan. Pour broth, chickpeas and cauliflower into pot and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 10 minutes until cauliflower is tender.
- Stir chopped spinach into Dutch oven and cook 1 minute until spinach is bright green. Finish by stirring in chipotle powder and lime juice. Yum!
One Last Thing