Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream
Add creaminess and flavor to any dessert, but especially vegan or tropical treats. Because it’s dairy-free, coconut whipped cream is perfect for our lactose-intolerant friends, too. It’s a great summertime addition!
Our recipe makes just about two cups of the coconut whipped cream. If you need more, simply double the recipe.
The key to making and storing this yummy whipped topping is to keep it COLD, so don’t skip any of our steps outlined in the recipe. And might we suggest a little extra indulgence? Shave some vegan-friendly dark chocolate over your whipped-creamed dessert for a tasty and crunchy topping.
Use this coconut whipped cream recipe to layer in angel food cake parfaits or mix into an orange cream fruit dip. If you’re not a vegan or lactose intolerant, try our recipe for homemade whipped cream using heavy cream instead!
Vegan Coconut Whipped Cream Recipe
- 14.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tsp pectin
- 2 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Place coconut milk in the refrigerator for at least 5 hours or overnight. (Each can makes about 2 cups of whipped cream.)
- A few minutes before you begin, place a medium-sized mixing bowl and the beaters into the freezer to chill. Once they are nice and cold, remove everything from the freezer and refrigerator.
- Open the can of coconut milk and use a slotted spoon to remove the solid coconut cream. (Do not add anything that is not completely solid. Additional liquid will lead to less volume and a runny consistency.) Add the solid coconut cream to the well-chilled bowl. You will be left with about ½ can of coconut water in the can, which you may discard.
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil and add pectin. Boil for 1 minute and set aside.
- Beat the coconut cream until nice and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Stop beating and add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat once again to incorporate. Whip until light and fluffy.
- Use on all of your favorite desserts. Be sure to use the coconut whip right away or cover and keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.