Vegan Mushroom and Adzuki Bean Stew
This vegan mushroom and adzuki bean stew is a home run because it is broth-y enough to get the satisfaction of soup yet hearty enough to embody the satisfaction of a stew. Just whip up a big batch for a cold, winter day and freeze the rest for later.
Adzuki beans (pronounced ad-zook-ee) are an Asian bean that is slightly sweet and nutty in taste and creamy in texture. They boast heart, weight and muscle mass!
Your taste buds will go bananas with the texture and flavor of this stew. Big chunks of vegetables, warm adzuki beans and creamy butternut squash infused with vegetable stock and herbs make this soup rich and robust in taste. This recipe is perfect to serve as a lunch entrée or dinner main course.
Vegan Mushroom and Adzuki Bean Stew Recipe
This adzuki been stew recipe is filling and delicious. It sounds funny but it makes for a creamy and slightly sweet dinner!
- 1 cup dry adzuki beans
- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced into thin rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups butternut squash, cut into chunks and frozen
- 4 oz fresh oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 10 oz fresh wild mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup green lentils
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Place aduki bean in large bowl and cover with water by 4 inches. The beans will swell overnight so use plenty of water. When it is time to make the stew, drain the beans and place in a medium saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a simmer over medium high heat. Let simmer for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile pour 1 cup boiling water into a heat proof container and add the dried porcini mushrooms. Stir to submerge the mushrooms and set aside for 30 minutes. Drain the mushrooms and strain the water through a coffee filter. Set mushrooms and mushroom water aside.
- In a large soup pot or Dutch oven heat oil and add tomato paste. Sauté tomato paste 1 minute then add onion, celery, and carrot. Cook 3 minutes then add garlic and cook 1 more minute. Add oyster, wild and porcini mushrooms. Cook until liquid releases about 5 minutes.
- Add frozen butternut squash cubes, vegetable stock, mushroom water, lentils and beans. Simmer for 20 minutes then check beans for doneness.
- When stew is ready remove form heat and season with soy, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Just before serving stir in chopped parsley.
This is one of my new favorite beans. They are also referred to as azuki or aduki beans.
Calories: 825kcal, Carbohydrates: 146g, Protein: 35g, Fat: 16g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11g, Sodium: 9675mg, Potassium: 3125mg, Fiber: 44g, Sugar: 30g, Vitamin A: 55007IU, Vitamin C: 130mg, Calcium: 333mg, Iron: 13mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!