This wilted greens recipe stars spring onions, which look like plain old green onions, but are actually young onions picked before they develop into their more recognizable bulbous shape.
They have a deliciously mild, slightly sweet taste, especially when sautéed up with olive oil and other spring greens, but you can always substitute with leeks or shallots.
Wilted greens recipe
what you'll need
- 3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes crushed, optional
- 3 - 4 spring onions halved
- 1 large bunch red Swiss chard stemmed and chopped (or regular Swiss chard or deveined kale)
- 1/2 10 oz bag spinach washed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or water
- juice of a lemon zest reserved
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Heat oil over moderately high heat until just below smoking in cast iron pan. Add garlic and (optional) red pepper flakes. Stir until garlic is golden-brown and fragrant. Remove and discard garlic.
- Add spring onions and cook over moderate heat 1–2 minutes. Add Swiss chard and spinach leaves and cook, stirring with tongs, until just wilted. Add ½ cup wine (or water) and lemon juice. Cook, covered, until leaves are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season generously with salt and pepper then transfer to serving bowl.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and serve immediately.