These copycat In-n-Out animal style fries are surprisingly easy to make and so satisfying! This classic sauce starts with a blend of vegan mayo and ketchup that is such a perfect accompaniment to the crisp oven-baked fries. Our mouths are watering just thinking about that flavor! The caramelized onions may take some patience, but they make such a deliciously sweet addition that is just right on top of the fries. And, of course, you can’t forget to top on plenty of your favorite savory vegan cheese.
Whip these fries up to please a crowd on game day and watch your guests’ surprise when they learn these animal style fries are vegan! And while you’re at it, whip up a batch of our Vegan Snickers Bars for your next event, or pair these in n out animal style fries with a delicious Vegan BLT Sandwich! There’s so many delicious options to impress a crowd, even if they’re not following a vegan diet.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Animal Style Fries Recipe Tips
- Not following a vegan diet? Just use the non-vegan versions of the ingredients.
- If you’re not following a vegan diet, you can also pair these with our In-N-Out Keto Burgers.
- You can make the sauce ahead of time and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Vegan In-n-Out Animal Style Fries
what you'll need
- 1/2 cup avocado mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp relish
- 2 tsp yellow mustard
- 4 medium Russet potatoes scrubbed and dried
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp avocado oil
- 3 cups vegan cheddar cheese shredded
let's do it
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the avocado oil. Add the diced onion and cook for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently to caramelize the onions. Once golden brown, set aside.
- Slice the potatoes into ½” thick fries. Place the fries into a large bowl and cover with water. Let soak for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce by whisking all of the sauce ingredients into a bowl. Place in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Once the fries have soaked, preheat the oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain, rinse, and dry the potatoes completely. They must be completely dry to get crispy!
- Once the potatoes are dried, add 2 tbsp cornstarch and 2 tbsp of neutral oil. Toss to coat completely until you can’t see the starch anymore.
- Line the potatoes onto the baking sheet, ensuring each fry has its own space. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake for another 10 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the fries get a little char on top and the fries are tender.
- Remove the fries from the oven, push the fries into an even pile and sprinkle the cheese over the top of them. Follow with the caramelized onions. Place into the oven at 400 degrees for about 5-10 minutes until the cheese is melty.
- Pull out of the oven and drizzle with the fry sauce to serve.