Fact: Gravy is an essential part of enjoying the perfect mashed potatoes. And now you no longer have to skip out on this holiday classic because it doesn’t match your vegan lifestyle. We’ve created a delicious Vegan Gravy that is so tasty, even those who aren’t eating strictly plant-based will go nuts for it!
With crimini mushrooms, garlic, and onion at the heart of this recipe, there’s no shortage of flavor. Check out the recipe tips below for an easy way to even make this gluten-free. That way, no matter who’s coming for Thanksgiving dinner, you’ll have the perfect sauce ready to go for them!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Vegan Gravy Recipe Tips:
- If you don’t like big bites of mushroom, chop them into smaller pieces and they will reduce even more when cooked down.
- Substitute gluten-free all-purpose flour for the regular flour for a gluten-free gravy.
- If you need to thicken up the sauce, just add a tiny bit more flour. Add it slowly though!
- The fresh herbs add a ton of flavor here, but dried herbs can be used in a pinch.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 12 oz crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 5 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk of choice
- 2 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until cooked down, about 3-5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add ¼ cup vegetable broth and the flour and whisk vigorously.
- Follow with the rest of the broth, milk, salt, pepper, garlic powder, chopped sage, and the thyme and rosemary sprigs.
- Allow the gravy to come to a simmer, whisking frequently while it thickens.
- Once thickened, allow the gravy to simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes for flavors to infuse. Remove from the heat and take out the thyme and rosemary sprigs from the pan before serving.
Pair this with our dairy-free Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes for the perfect Thanksgiving side dish.