Stuffing is a classic holiday treat, but unfortunately those who stick to a vegan diet typically miss out. However, we found that creating a vegan-friendly version of this Thanksgiving staple is not only completely doable, it’s also completely delicious! This Focaccia Vegan Stuffing is brought together by replacing the eggs with a mixture of flaxseed and water. Then we add in tasty focaccia bread, rich fennel and white onion, fresh apple, a healthy dose of spinach, and yummy roasted walnuts. Next thyme and basil take the recipe up a notch, making it even more aromatic. The result is an incredibly flavorful dish that everyone at the table will appreciate it.
In fact, this turned out so good, we’re willing to bet even those who don’t eat vegan will prefer this version over the classic. Maybe make it your family without telling them there’s anything different? You can easily make this vegan stuffing for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or any day of the week, since it’s actually really simple and fast to make. Enjoy!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Focaccia Vegan Stuffing Recipe Tips
- If you have fresh focaccia, toast the cubes in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- If you don’t have focaccia, replace it with sourdough bread or a baguette
- You can also make this recipe gluten-free by using your favorite gluten-free bread.
Focaccia Vegan Stuffing Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 lb focaccia bread day old
- 2 tbsp flaxseed
- 6 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup white onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fennel bulb thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple finely diced in cubes
- 2 cups spinach packed and chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted walnuts chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves packed and chopped
- fresh parsley chopped, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F and grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Chop all ingredients. Slice the focaccia bread into 1-inch cubes.
- Blend the flaxseed with the water and allow to hydrate until it's a thicker gelatinous consistency.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat, and add the onion, fennel, and apple, with a big pinch of salt. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, add the thyme, basil, and spinach leaves. Mix everything together and cook for one minute and a half more. Take off the stove and add the walnuts.
- In a large bowl, mix together well the vegetables, focaccia cubes, and flaxseed. Season with salt and pepper to your taste. When everything is combined, transfer over the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the stuffing is golden brown and crisp on top. Finish the dish with some fresh parsley and enjoy.
One Last Thing
Recipe and photos by Abril Macías.