This recipe for vegan scalloped potatoes is a dairy-free version of the classic dish and is one of our favorite dishes to date! You can’t even tell it’s plant-based – trust us! The ‘cheese’ sauce is made with raw cashews, nutritional yeast, garlic, and coconut cream for a slightly sweet touch that brings out the best of all flavors (plus one secret ingredient)! We partially cooked the potatoes to save time from cooking in the oven. Because classic scalloped potatoes require too long of a cooking time for our patience level. The result is a healthier dish that takes less time – we’d say that’s a win!
Serve these vegan scalloped potatoes as a side dish during any night of the week or whip them up this holiday season to impress guests – we are sure they’ll be asking for this recipe!
This post may include links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes Recipe Tips
- Be careful not to over-boil the potatoes at the beginning. This is just to start the cooking process as they will cook through while in the oven.
- If you can’t have coconut, just sub for any other unsweetened dairy-free milk.
- Using a mandolin can help keep your potato slices the same size, which makes it easier to cook them consistently.
- Store any leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Vegan Scalloped Potatoes Recipe
- 2 lb gold potatoes, sliced ⅛ - ¼ ” thick
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dairy-free milk
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- juice from 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- fresh parsley, optional, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and grease a 9x9 inch baking dish.
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil and pour over the cashews in a bowl. Allow the cashews to soak for 5 minutes. Drain after time is up.
- Add the soaked cashews, coconut cream, dairy-free milk, nutritional yeast, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to a high speed blender. Blend on high for about 1 minute. Remove the lid, scrape the sides down, and blend again. Use a spoon to taste the cream sauce and adjust seasonings if necessary. Set the sauce aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the sliced potatoes. Boil for 3-5 minutes until slightly cooked, but not cooked all the way through. They should still have a bite to them.
- Drain the sliced potatoes and spread them evenly into your prepared dish. Pour the ‘cheese’ sauce over the potatoes and spread evenly.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Turn the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for another 5-10 minutes until the top is browned and the potatoes are cooked through completely.
- Allow the potatoes to cool for 5-10 minutes before slicing and serving. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.