Our einkorn quinoa hamburger casserole recipe is delicious, comforting and loaded with hamburger and quinoa that’s actually good for you. You can indulge in a hearty dish without the guilt!
This recipe comes together quickly. With all of the time that you’ll save, you can prepare the homemade cheese sauce too.
Our einkorn quinoa hamburger casserole is a handy way to use leftovers—if you have extra hamburger or quinoa on hand, it’s a snap!
Einkorn Quinoa Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 8 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose einkorn flour
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rinse quinoa in a mesh strainer and tap it several times to release as much of the water as possible.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan over medium high until it shimmers. Add the quinoa and toast it for 2–3 minutes until it is fragrant, stirring continuously. Add broth and salt to the pan and bring the mixture to boil then cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Without removing the lid (no peeking) remove the pot from the heat and let it stand for 5 more minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the quinoa with a fork like you would rice. You’ll know it is done when close to half the beads have opened up into little spirals. Set pot aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat 9" x 13" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place large skillet over medium-high heat then add ground beef. Cook 5–7 minutes or until no pink remains, breaking meat into small pieces as it cooks.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic then cook 4–5 minutes until the onion becomes translucent and mushrooms soften.
- Drain excess grease from skillet, return to stove then reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over meat mixture then mix until flour has dissolved completely. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently then add beef broth. Stir to combine, scraping up any brown bits stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring liquid to boil then add thyme, paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium-low then simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in milk, return to boil then reduce heat once again and simmer 5–6 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightly.
- Add Parmesan cheese and cooked quinoa to the beef. Stir to combine then adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish then top with a bit more Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20–25 minutes or until the center is hot and the sides are nice and bubbly. Let casserole cool for 10 minutes before serving.
This einkorn quinoa hamburger casserole is one of my favorite recipes to make for a potluck!