We love a super healthy meal, but once in a while it’s fun to enjoy a super savory, comfort food favorite. That’s why we whipped up this chicken casserole with crushed baked potato chips on top! It’s okay to have a cheat day as long as you use quality ingredients.
We used frozen veggies in the dish, and you’ll be pleased to know that frozen veggies are just as fabulous as they are fresh. This way you can buy your ingredients on Sunday and they’ll still be good to go on Thursday.
Serve this dish with our sautéed green beans or our clover-shaped yeast dinner rolls—or both! If you have leftovers, this casserole will taste even better on day two! Outrageous flavor is what we’re all about.
Chicken Casserole With Baked Potato Chips Recipe
what you'll need
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium yellow onion finely diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk warm
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup basmati rice
- 1 cup peas defrosted, or broccoli florets
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- 3-4 cups chicken cooked, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups potato chips baked
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat a 2-qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat then add butter and onion. Cook 3–4 minutes until onions are softened and translucent then add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture then stir to combine. Cook flour for 30 seconds, stirring constantly then stir in warm milk. Add chicken bouillon, pepper and Italian seasoning. Blend and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat then stir in sour cream, uncooked rice, vegetables, shredded cheese and shredded chicken. Stir to combine then transfer mixture to prepared casserole dish.
- Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven, give the casserole a gentle stir then cover the top with crumbled baked potato chips. Return the casserole to the oven and cook uncovered for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow it to rest for 10 minutes to set up and cool a bit before serving.