Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
If you love homemade soup but don’t have time to let it develop a hearty flavor from cooking all day, you need to try this easy chicken noodle soup recipe. Making a flavor base before you add the soup ingredients cuts the cook time down to just 2 hours.
You’ll get a quick start by using a food processor to mince onions, celery and garlic. They’ll need to cook for only a minute or two, but stir constantly to keep to keep them from scorching—if the garlic burns you may as well start over because all the flavor will be gone!
When it comes to adding chicken, use leftovers or shred a rotisserie chicken from the store. Or, you can buy cooked chicken from the deli section. Cooked with a combination of fresh and frozen veggies and noodles, no one will know!
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 - 5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 - 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 tsp thyme leaves
- 12 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 3 qts
- 2 Tbsp chicken bouillon
- 3 cups chicken, cooked, shredded
- 2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen , cut into 2" pieces (optional)
- 8 oz package egg noodles
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, make the flavor base by pulsing the onion, celery and garlic in a food processor until very finely chopped.
- Next, place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and melt the butter. Add the minced vegetables and cook 1−2 minutes, stirring constantly so that they don’t burn—the liquid from the minced veggies will cook off and the flavor base will thicken into a paste.
- Add the chicken broth and chicken bouillon and stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen anything that may be sticking. Add the carrots, chopped onion, sliced celery and chicken meat then bring the soup to a boil. Immediately reduce the heat to low then simmer, covered, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- About 15–20 minutes before you are ready to serve the soup, remove the lid and increase the heat to medium-high until the soup comes to a bubble. Add frozen vegetables (if desired) and egg noodles to the soup, return the soup to a boil then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer until the noodles are cooked through but still firm.
- Remove from the heat, taste for seasoning and serve immediately. Enjoy!