Einkorn Lemon Tart with Shortbread Crust
What is einkorn flour?
Watch our video and find out.
When life gives you lemons, make a classic southern dessert! Our einkorn lemon tart recipe is well worth the effort. Tart lemon custard baked into a buttery shortbread crust gets us all hot and bothered just thinkin’ about it.
Don’t let the total time to prepare this recipe fool you. It’s more inactive than elbow grease, just the way we like it. Once you’ve mastered our einkorn lemon tart recipe, try your hand at our pecan pie or our winning lemon blueberry mascarpone tart.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Einkorn is helpful for those with gluten sensitivities or intolerances and not intended for those with celiac disease.
Einkorn Lemon Tart with Shortbread Crust Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift the powdered sugar, flour and salt into a medium-sized bowl and set aside. NOTE: We strongly recommend you weigh your einkorn flour, if possible, for better accuracy. If you don’t have a scale, fluff the flour with a fork before you measure it in a cup.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, blend the butter and vanilla for 1 minute. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the butter mixture and blend until everything is combined.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and form into a disc. Let dough chill in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.
- Press chilled dough into the bottom of a 9"- or 10"-pan with a removable bottom (a tart or spring-form pan). Spray a piece of foil large enough to cover the crust with cooking spray. Place over the crust, sprayed side down, and fill with pie weights or dried beans to keep the crust flat.
- Blind bake for 15–18 minutes or until the crust is golden. Remove from the oven and cool on a rack for about 20 minutes then place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the sugar, flour, cornmeal and salt. Mix until well blended then add the eggs. Beat on high until fully incorporated. Mix in the melted butter, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Pour the mixture into the chilled crust. Add strips of foil to cover the edges of the crust so it does not burn.
- Put the pie in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Turn the oven down to 300 degrees and bake for another 40 minutes. It is done when a knife comes out clean and the internal temperature (2" from the edge) registers 210 degrees.