Leftover turkey only means one thing—the holidays! If you cook a big bird for the entire family, then you’re bound to have leftovers. Give your favorite poultry another round by making our leftover turkey casserole with kale and wild rice!
This recipe is so yummy, you’ll be making this dish all year long with leftover chicken. Seriously, it’s that good!
We included chopped pecans for their buttery crunch and a little Parmesan cheese for its complementary fruity, nutty flavor. The result is a hearty, scrumptious casserole that’s table-ready in an hour or less.
Leftover Turkey Casserole with Kale and Wild Rice
what you'll need
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or all-purpose einkorn flour
- 14.5 oz can low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1 leaves bunch kale deveined, coarsely chopped
- 3 cups turkey cooked, or chicken, shredded or chopped
- 2 cups wild rice cooked
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 cup pecans chopped
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat a 2-qt casserole dish with cooking spray. Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add onion, bell pepper, salt, pepper and thyme then stir to combine.
- Cook until onions become tender and translucent—about 3–4 minutes—then add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds. Sprinkle with flour and stir to combine.
- Cook flour and veggies together for about 30 seconds then add chicken broth and stir until flour is completely dissolved in the broth. Add cream cheese and stir until melted.
- Add kale and toss to combine. Allow kale to cook in the sauce for about 2 minutes or until it becomes dark green and begins to become tender. Add cooked turkey (or chicken), wild rice and Parmesan cheese then stir until combined.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and top with chopped pecans. Bake about 30 minutes until hot and bubbly then remove from oven and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.