You’ll never grasp the perks of being a cauliflower until you direct a fork into our low-carb cauliflower hamburger casserole. It’s a guiltless, filling delight with your favorite components like hamburger, cheese and cauliflower, only without all the carbs. We’re totally in love!
Save precious time by purchasing pre-cut cauliflower florets at the supermarket. They’re next to the bagged broccoli in the produce section. You can also buy pre-shredded cheese, but we prefer fresh shredded cheese for the gooiest results.
We decided to roast the cauliflower instead of steaming it, like most recipes call for. Roasting reduces the water in veggies so it won’t be soupy when it comes out of the oven. Make sure to drain as much water as possible for the best results. Enjoy!
Low-Carb Cauliflower Hamburger Casserole Recipe
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped and divided
- 2 heads cauliflower
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in small skillet. Add panko and stir until panko browns 3 minutes. Pour into a small bowl and stir in 2 Tbsp chopped parsley. Set aside
- Break cauliflower into small florets. The easiest way to do this is to turn the head stem side up the start cutting the stems just below the tops. Break the tops into the size of macaroni noodles and place them in a large microwave safe bowl. Continue until you have 8 cups cauliflower “noodles”. Bring large pot of water to a boil and cook cauliflower 3 minutes until tender but still crisp. Remove from heat and drain. To prevent dish from getting watery, place cauliflower (in batches) in clean kitchen towel and wring out any water remaining.
- Heat milk in a large pan. When simmering, add both cheeses a bit at a time adding more when completely melted. Add cayenne, salt and pepper and stir well. Combine cauliflower and cheese in a large bowl, mix well, then set aside.
- Wipe out pan and add oil. When shimmering add onion and saute until translucent about 3 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and basil and cook 1 minute. Add tomatoes and cook 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add to cauliflower and cheese in bowl.
- Mix thoroughly and pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle crumbs over everything and transfer to oven. Bake 20-25 minutes until bubbly.
Add another level of personalized flavor to this low-carb delight by mixing in a cup for green chilies, jalapenos or bell peppers!