This is a dish that looks so beautiful, you almost feel too guilty to eat it. Almost. Our warm mushroom couscous recipe with arugula and cherry tomatoes is quick and easy—even the prep is a snap!
Cherry tomatoes add a burst of color and sweet flavor, and the peppery arugula brings in just the right amount of spice. You’ll love the combination of textures, too. The most important thing is to make sure your garlic doesn’t burn when sautéing, so keep an eye on it.
We think the couscous is delicious when it’s served warm, but you can also chill this side dish. Simply refrigerate for at least an hour before eating. It’s totally versatile!
Mushroom Couscous Recipe
Tasty and colorful, you’ll love this super fast mushroom couscous recipe with arugula salad! Prefer the dish chilled? Just refrigerate before serving.
Yield: 4 -6 servings
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup couscous, uncooked
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- juice of a lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1 cup arugula, packed
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, bring broth, salt and olive oil to a boil over medium-high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, stir in the couscous, cover with a tight-fitting lid and remove from heat. Let the mixture stand undisturbed for 5 minutes. Remove lid and fluff the couscous with a fork. Transfer to medium-sized serving bowl and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add diced onion and cook 3–4 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add mushrooms to the skillet and toss to coat in the oil. Cook for 23 minutes, then add the chicken broth and kosher salt and cook until all of the liquid has evaporated.
- Once the liquid has evaporated, add the mushroom mixture to the bowl containing the couscous then stir to combine and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, add lemon juice, olive oil, green onion, arugula, cherry tomatoes and salt and pepper. Toss to combine then stir into couscous and mushroom mixture. Serve warm and enjoy!
Serve this couscous alongside a flaky white fish for a light and healthy dinner.
Calories: 263kcal, Carbohydrates: 22g, Protein: 5g, Fat: 18g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Sodium: 622mg, Potassium: 140mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!