It’s hard to find someone who doesn’t like soft pretzel bites, especially when they’re straight out of your oven. A large pot of boiling water and only four ingredients make this yummy snack that rivals any you’d find at the mall.
You can forget the frozen ones from the grocery and head for the fresh pizza dough instead (not the canned stuff in the dairy bin—the good dough that’s made daily). No one will know you had a head start when making this crowd pleaser.
Fifteen minutes in the oven is all you need. You may want to make an extra batch or two—these babies will go fast! You can even make one batch that’s ready to go and freeze the other to save for later. These are great with your favorite dips. Mustard, cheese, marinara sauce or plain—no matter which one you choose, you’ll have trouble holding everyone back!
Soft Pretzel Bites Recipe
what you'll need
let's do it
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Bring the water to a boil in a large saucepan or soup pot that has a wide opening. If the water fills the pot above halfway use a bigger pot, as water will bubble up quite a bit when you add baking soda. When the water boils, carefully add the baking soda while stirring constantly to dissolve. Once it has dissolved, reduce the heat to medium-low and keep the water at a simmer.
- Cut the pizza dough into 4 equal pieces and roll each piece into a rope no thicker than ½" thick. Cut the ropes into 1½" long pieces. Repeat for the remainder of the dough.
- Working in 3 or 4 batches, drop the pieces of dough into the simmering water and gently stir to ensure they are completely submerged in the water and don’t stick together. Allow the dough to sit in the baking soda solution for about 30 seconds then remove them with a slotted spoon. Don’t worry about drying them off completely—just allow most of the water to drain off. Place the pieces on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough.
- Brush each pretzel piece with beaten egg white and sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Bake for 14−16 minutes until nicely browned. Remove from the oven and serve nice and warm! Enjoy!