Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
Our recipe for slow cooker white chicken chili is hearty, satisfying and a tasty change from the typical red chicken chili. This recipe yields 10 servings, but you can stretch it to feed an even larger crowd by adding more beans.
Controlling the spice level is simple, too! Use mild, medium or hot green chiles and, for more heat, leave in the seeds and membranes of the jalapeño.
We recommend seasoning the chili to taste after adding the lime and cilantro because these ingredients can dramatically change the flavor. Server with tortilla chips, sour cream, lime wedges and extra cilantro for sprinkling.
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili Recipe
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Anaheim pepper, or poblano chile, seeded and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 8 oz green chilies, diced
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp chicken bouillon
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- 3 – 15-oz cans of white beans, drained and divided
- 1 cup sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1/2 a lime
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Add onion, garlic, fresh and canned chiles, cumin, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, onion powder, chicken bouillon and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Stir until combined and bouillon is dissolved. Drop in whole chicken breasts and 2 cans of drained beans. Reserve the third can of beans to add later.
- Cook on low for 6–7 hours or high for 3½–4 hours.
- Just before serving, remove chicken breasts from the slow cooker and shred. Ladle about 1 cup of the broth from the slow cooker into a blender. Don’t worry if there are some veggies in the broth. Add the remaining drained can of beans to the blender. Blend until smooth then stir purée back into the pot to thicken the chili.
- Add shredded chicken back into the pot along with the corn kernels, fresh chopped cilantro and lime juice. Stir well and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sour cream, lime wedges, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes and crispy tortilla chips.