Air Fryer Schnitzel
Schnitzel is a staple dish in our household. My husband is from Germany and this is one of his favorite dishes from home. However, the traditional way of preparing it makes it a dish that is pretty high in fat. That’s why we decided to give it a try in our air fryer. And it turned out SO good. It still had a crunchy exterior, while the inside stayed tender and juicy… YUM! This air fryer schnitzel recipe is a must-try whether you love the original and want a healthier version or want to try this traditional German dish for the first time!
My husband prefers to make schnitzel with pork, but you can also use chicken breasts here. You’ll keep the recipe exactly the same. Just make sure you get the chicken nice and thin. You want your meat to be about 1″ thick so it cooks thoroughly without getting too done on the outside.
French fries are the traditional side dish with schnitzel and it’s so easy to throw some frozen french fries in the air fryer when you flip over your schnitzel. However, I also love eating this dish with broccoli or green beans. Both can be made in the air fryer so you don’t have to dirty any other pans or dishes. That’s a win in our book.
Air Fryer Schnitzel Recipe Tips:
- Schnitzel is traditionally served with lemon wedges. Press the lemon wedge into the schnitzel with a fork to get the flavor over all the dish.
- We also eat our schnitzel with ketchup – which is also great for the fries. Aioli dip is another great option and can be easily whipped up while the schnitzel is in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Schnitzel Recipe
- Place plastic wrap over the pork chops and pound with a meat tenderizer until 1" thick.
- Get 3 bowls or plates and add the flour, breadcrumbs, and crack the eggs onto one dish each. Add the salt, pepper, and paprika to the egg dish.
- Flip the pork chop in each dish, starting with the flour, then move to the egg wash, then to the breadcrumbs.
- Spray both sides of the pork chop with olive oil.
- Cook in the air fryer at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, flipping after 5 minutes.
- Garnish with the parsley and lemon slices. Enjoy!