Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
We’re big lasagna fans around here, but it’s not the best option if you’re looking for a low carb, low calorie meal. However, if you make one easy switch and use zucchini in place of lasagna noodles, you have an ideal high protein, low carb dinner recipe for your weight loss journey. With plenty of cheese, ground chicken, and flavorful marinara sauce, what’s not to love?
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
We used ground chicken in this recipe, but you could easily swap in ground beef, ground turkey or ground pork depending on your preferences or what you have in the fridge.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups Recipe Tips:
+ If you want to take this recipe up a notch, try making it with our homemade marinara sauce!
+ You could also use eggplant for the roll ups. You may have to just adjust the cook time to get them soft enough to roll.
+ Want to increase the protein content even more in this recipe? Try substituting cottage cheese for the ricotta. The small cheese curb option works best. You could even blend it for optimal texture.
Zucchini Lasagna Roll Ups
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 6 medium zucchini, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- fresh parsley, chopped, optional to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Once heated, add the chicken and onion. Saute, stirring often and breaking up the chunks of chicken, until the chicken is mostly cooked through, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper and cook for another 3 minutes or so, until the chicken is cooked through completely.
- Meanwhile, place the zucchini slices on an oiled baking sheet. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and bake for 5-8 minutes or until the slices are soft enough to roll without breaking.
- Mix the ricotta with half of the shredded mozzarella. Lay out the zucchini slices and spread about a tablespoon of the ricotta mixture over the whole slice. Add a spoonful or so of the ground chicken on top of the ricotta on the zucchini. Roll from the bottom up, not too tightly, and place the roll-up in the baking dish. Repeat with the remaining zucchini slices.
- Dollop the rest of the marinara sauce around and on top of the zucchini roll-ups. Top with the remaining shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425 degrees. Bake for 15-20 mins or until the sauce is bubbly and the cheese is melted and browned as desired. Serve hot with chopped parsley if desired.