Southwest Spaghetti Squash Bake
If you’re looking for an easy macro-friendly recipe, look no further than this Southwest Spaghetti Squash Bake. With onions, bell peppers, black beans, corn, and ground turkey, it’s a totally satisfying meal that’s full of flavor. Oh and did we mention it’s topped with bubbly cheese? Say no more!
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Spaghetti squash is an ideal ingredient for high protein meals for weight loss because it’s low in calories, super versatile, and loaded with vitamins and minerals. In fact, just one cup of spaghetti squash has 11% of your daily recommended value of pantothenic acid. Pantothenic acid, or Vitamin B5, helps break down fats and improve metabolic functions. It’s not only healthy, it’s also delicious.
Check out some of our other favorite spaghetti squash recipes like our:
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Squash Pasta
- Greek Roasted Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
- Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Southwest Spaghetti Squash Bake Recipe Tips:
+ Some people avoid spaghetti squash because they’re intimated by how to cut and prepare it. We created a super easy tutorial to have you feeling like a pro in no time.
+ To make this recipe lower carb, omit the black beans and corn and double up on the ground turkey instead.
- 1 small spaghetti squash, or 1/2 large
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 tbsp taco seasoning, (1 oz package)
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels
- 1 cup shredded cheese, (we used pepper jack)
- sour cream, for topping, if desired
- fresh cilantro, for topping, if desired
- Cook the spaghetti squash: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and discard the seeds and membrane. Drizzle with a splash of olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 35-45 minutes, depending on the size of the squash, until fork tender on the inside. Scrape out the spaghetti-like insides of half of a large or the entire whole small squash and set aside.
- Adjust the oven temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Heat a large oven safe skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Once the oil is heated, add the diced onion and bell pepper. Saute until mostly tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the ground turkey and cook, stirring and breaking up the meat, until mostly cooked, about 5-7 minutes. Stir in the taco seasoning, black beans, and corn. Cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the spaghetti squash until well combined. Taste and add a pinch of salt and pepper if needed. Spread the mixture in a single even layer and sprinkle evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes or until the sides are bubbly and the cheese is melted.
- Serve hot with chopped cilantro and sour cream if desired.