Kale Caesar Salad with Cornmeal Croutons
We combined some of our favorite ingredients to make a delicious, hearty salad that serves as a great side or entrée. Fresh, crispy kale, homemade cornmeal croutons and creamy dressing that’s easy to make on your own—everything is fresh just the way you like it!
Of course, if you’re short on time, you can purchase pre-cooked polenta. Simply slice then follow the recipe to brown then drain the goods.
Because we believe that salad shouldn’t be drowned in dressing, we typically dress the salad with just half the dressing then serve the remaining dressing on the side. If you’ve ever paid close attention to your favorite dine-out salads, they’re always dressed just enough to get the leaves wet but no more!
Kale Caesar Salad with Homemade Cornmeal Croutons Recipe
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside. Bring broth, 1 Tbsp unsalted butter, and salt to a rolling boil over medium heat. Add cornmeal slowly while whisking constantly until all of the cornmeal is incorporated and the lumps are removed. Whisk in baking soda and garlic powder then reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 5 minutes or until it becomes very thick and starts to leave a film on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and transfer to the loaf pan. Flatten into an even layer and sprinkle the top with fresh cracked pepper. Place pan in the fridge to cool 10–15 minutes, or until it has solidified. Once the cornmeal has become firm enough to slice, cut into 1" cubes.
- Heat the remaining Tbsp of butter in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add half of the crouton cubes to the skillet. Allow them to fry undisturbed. Turn when you see a brown edge forming on the bottom after 4–5 minutes. Flip and brown the opposite side—it’ll cook faster and take only 2–3 minutes. Remove and drain on a plate lined with a paper towel. Space the croutons apart so they won’t steam each other and lose their crispy texture as they cool. Repeat the process with the remaining cubes.
- Place all the dressing ingredients into a medium-sized bowl. Whisk until smooth and blended. If the dressing’s a bit too thick, just whisk in a small amount of water until you’ve reached the desired consistency.
- Place kale in a large bowl and top with half of the salad dressing. Toss to coat then taste. Add more dressing if desired. Top with Parmesan, cornmeal croutons and freshly cracked black pepper.