We’ve spiced up the tired side dish routine by creating a healthy Mexican quinoa loaded with only the freshest of our favorite ingredients—jalapeños, green tomatillo sauce, cilantro and lime.
The best part about this recipe is that everyone can dress it to his or her liking. Set all of the toppings out in bowls and let your tribe build their own. That means less work for you and more happy tummies!
Mexican Quinoa Recipe
what you'll need
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- 2 limes cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
let's do it
- In a large skillet, add the oil and heat until shimmering. Sauté the onion, celery, carrot and jalapeño about 3–4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and stir into the mixture. Cook the flour for 1 minute then add chicken or vegetable broth. Whisk to combine. Scrape the bits (the fond) from bottom of the pan. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Five minutes before serving, stir in the green tomatillo sauce and cooked quinoa. Sprinkle with cilantro and red pepper flakes.
- Garnish with white onions, lime and cilantro. Enjoy!