Red Beans and Rice Video
These red beans and rice really stick to your ribs and cost very little to prepare. This dish is perfect to make ahead and serve a bunch of hungry family members!
Red Beans and Rice Recipe
Red beans and rice are super hearty, inexpensive and make a great make-ahead family meal!
Yield: 6 -8 servings
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeds and membrane removed, chopped (or 1 green bell pepper)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika, not smoked
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 lb small red beans, quick-soaked
- 1 ham hock, or 3 slices of softly-cooked bacon
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar, or lemon juice
- salt, to taste
- 1 lb Andouille sausage, grilled
- 3 cups white rice, cooked
- hot sauce
- Heat olive oil over medium heat until it shimmers. Add onion, celery and jalapeno and cook for 3-4 minutes until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and seasoning and cook for 1 more minute until fragrant. Add broth to the pan and scrape any bits that have stuck to the bottom.
- Add water, soaked beans and ham hock. Bring beans to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-high and rapidly simmer uncovered for 1 hour—1 hour 15 minutes or until the beans have cooked to desired consistency. Stir the beans frequently as they cook to help the starches break down and create a creamy broth. Watch beans carefully toward the end so they don’t stick to the pan. No harm, no foul.
- Discard the ham hock and add the vinegar for an extra layer of flavor. If the beans thicken too much, simply add a little water to the pot. Serve with grilled Andouille sausage and white rice! Enjoy.
Looking to cut down on the fat? Use a turkey or chicken sausage link instead.
Calories: 540kcal, Carbohydrates: 48g, Protein: 21g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Cholesterol: 70mg, Sodium: 1622mg, Potassium: 400mg, Fiber: 5g, Sugar: 3g