Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Comforting, creamy and delicious, roasted cauliflower soup is just what you’ll crave when it’s cold outside.
Roasting the cauliflower first adds a depth of flavor that’s oftentimes missing from most vegetable-based soups. We also like using chicken broth for that same reason, but you can just as easily make it vegetarian-friendly with veggie broth.
Puréeing is a good way to create creaminess without having to go too heavy on the dairy. We prefer the texture of blending half the soup and leaving the other half untouched. However, if you prefer to purée the entire batch…knock yourself out!
Serve this soup recipe in a fancy homemade bread bowl!
Roasted Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely diced
- 3 - 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth, or chicken broth
- 1/2 cup milk, or half-and-half
- 1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, or Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, for garnish, chopped
- 3 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees then trim cauliflower into florets, discarding the stalk. Place cauliflower on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Roast cauliflower for 30–35 minutes until tender and golden along the edges.
- Place a large saucepan over medium heat. Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil and diced onion. Cook 4–5 minutes, stirring often until onion is translucent. Add minced garlic and thyme then cook for 1 additional minute.
- Add roasted cauliflower and broth to the pot, reserving a few small florets for garnish if desired. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and breaking up any large chunks of cauliflower. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Carefully ladle about half the soup into a blender and purée until smooth. Work in batches if necessary until entire soup is pureed, but don’t fill the blender more than ⅓ full. Add puréed soup back into the pot and stir in milk. Add shredded cheese a handful at a time, stirring until completely melted before adding more.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with reserved roasted cauliflower, fresh parsley, bacon and cheese. Enjoy!