Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana Soup
Soups are an easy and tasty way to eat more veggies. This Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana is a delicious imitation of the classic Olive Garden soup – with a fraction of the calories! Packed full of kale and with a coconut milk base, this is one recipe you’ll want to make again and again – even if you’re not currently doing the Whole 30 program.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
What is Whole 30?
Whole 30 is a diet type that focuses on eliminating common foods for a 30 day period and then slowly reintroducing these to see how your body reacts.
“The Whole30 has been changing lives since 2009, when co-founder Melissa Hartwig Urban blogged about a 30-day dietary experiment that transformed her health, habits, and emotional relationship with food.
Since then, millions of people have changed their lives with the Whole30 program; eliminating cravings, improving energy and sleep, reporting an improvement in allergies, anxiety, chronic pain, digestive issues, skin conditions; and losing weight healthfully and sustainably.”
There are some simple Do’s and Don’ts for the Whole 30. Check them out here!
And, if you want to learn more about how the Whole 30 program was created and why certain foods are eliminated, check out the book “It Starts With Food”. Grab your copy here!
Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana Recipe Tips
- Make sure you find Italian Sausage with no added sugar to keep this recipe Whole 30 compliant. See a list of approved brands here.
- The chili flakes give this recipe a delicious kick, but if you’re not into spicy you can leave them out.
Whole 30 Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- 6 cups bone broth
- 1 can coconut milk, (13.5 oz)
- 10 small red potatoes
- 1 bunch of kale
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- red chili flakes, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and quarter the potatoes. Chop the onion. Devein the kale. Mince the garlic.
- In a large soup pot, brown the Italian sausage for about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir for about a minute.
- Add the bone broth, seasonings, and the potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add kale and coconut milk and simmer for another 5 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Enjoy!