Tofu & Veggie Stuffed Acorn Squash
Holiday dinners can be tough if you’re following a vegan or vegetarian diet. Your friends and family might be used to making a big ‘ol bird to celebrate. But we’ve discovered the perfect holiday-friendly vegan dish that feels festive and special – Tofu Stuffed Acorn Squash. Your friends and family are sure to love these hearty flavors so much, they won’t even miss the turkey.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Not sure how to cut acorn squash? Don’t worry, it couldn’t be simpler. Start by cutting off about 1/4″ of the stem end and bottom ends of the squash. Then flip it over and use those flat cut sides as a sturdy base to cut it in half from top to bottom. Then, you can just use an ice cream scoop to get out all the seeds.
Tofu & Veggie Stuffed Acorn Squash Recipe Tips:
+ Firm tofu is essential here to prevent your squash dish from getting too watery.
+ You can use whatever fresh herbs here you like or have on hand. We used rosemary, thyme, & oregano, but some other tasty options would be sage, parsley, basil or tarragon.
- 2 medium acorn squashes
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 carrot, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, finely chopped
- 14 oz firm tofu, drained, pressed, and crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, such as rosemary, thyme, & oregano – chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted pecans, or pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Carefully cut the squash in half vertically and scoop out the inside with the seeds. Oil the cut side of the squash with 1 tbsp of the oil and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place cut-side down on a baking sheet. Transfer to the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the flesh is fork tender as desired.
- In the last few minutes of cooking the squash, start heating a large skillet over medium heat. Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil to the skillet along with the onion, carrot, and celery. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion is beginning to get translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped mushroom and saute for another 5-10 minutes, until the mushrooms are browned and reduced in size.
- Add the tofu, herbs, garlic, paprika, a generous pinch of ground black pepper, and about 1 tsp salt. Saute, stirring occasionally, until the tofu is crisp and mostly golden brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Spoon the tofu vegetable mixture into the squash halves while still hot. Top with the dried cranberries and pecans and enjoy immediately!